Monday, January 24, 2011

Food Edition -- Honey Lemon Tea

Today my favorite thing is Honey Lemon Tea. For those who read my previous post about the joys of midnight croup, Morgan is recuperating. Her cough still sounds like a agitated seal and she's hoarse [I just have to interject that little kid hoarse voices crack me up], but she slept well last night. I had to check on her a few times in the morning to reassure myself she was still breathing since she slept until almost 9:30. Anyway, I was seeking something to soothe her throat and recalled this recipe. I tried it out on her and she loved it. She calls it "my honey drink" and helps me find all the ingredients when she wants some. That alone should recommend this simple beverage, but I've also read current medical wisdom suggests honey is as effective as cough syrups for alleviating symptoms. Why not give it a shot? Of course, the only down side is her three-year-old bladder. Several cups of beverage = several [extra] potty trips.

Honey Lemon Tea

1 c. hot water
2 tsp. honey
1 tsp. lemon juice
1 tsp. sugar (optional)

Combine all ingredients and stir until honey and sugar (if used) are dissolved.

Easy and oh, so soothing. I used hot tap water for Morgan as to avoid scalding her, but for adults you could warm it up in the microwave. I believe this recipe is courtesy of allrecipes.com, but it's been in my personal collection for a long time now.

1 comment:

  1. I'm such a fan of honey lemon tea! Although I've never really seen a recipe for it, so it's good to see some measurements instead of winging it every time.

    ReplyDelete