Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Eloquence and Injury

Marissa came home from school the other day with a gem in hand. Apparently her encounter with school lunch that day left enough of a putrid impression to inspire an ode. I share it with her permission.

September 15, 2011

The lunch today
almost made me cry.
It was so horrifying.
It even came alive.
The spaghetti smacked Alanna.
The salad gulped up Bridget.
It kinda made me eat it.
But instead I threw up in it.
It was very, very gross.
My mom made toast.
And that was so much better
than today's school lunch.

On the topic of Marissa, I got one of those phone calls from the school office yesterday that no parent wants to receive. Marissa had run into another student's head and split open her forehead. I zipped up to the school and checked her out. I didn't get a good look at the wound because the office assistants had taped it up, but they assured me it was deep. I called the doctor from the school thinking we could drive right over, but the doctors were all at lunch. So we set an appointment and went home to wait. Marissa was a trooper the whole time and expressed her concern for the younger kids she walks home with after school. I told her not to worry about them, that we just needed to take care of her for now. At the doctor's office, they took the tape off her cut. Initially it just looked like a narrow little thing, but then the nurse started to clean it, and it just gushed open. In the end, she needed three stitches inside the gash and 9 on the surface. It contours her eyebrow, so hopefully the scar won't be too noticeable as it heals. But it was a doozy. Now her eye is a bit purple and swollen and she has to wear a bandage until the stitches come out. My poor, pretty girl. Yeow!

1 comment:

  1. Gaah! (or i guess i should say, "Gaaa..sh!" HA(?) )

    Anyway, so sorry about that head wound. yikes!

    also: the ode: that's a girl after my own heart. bless her.

    ReplyDelete