Sunday, June 26, 2011

Iron Chef

Look out, Bobby Flay. I've got an up-and-coming food network star on my hands.

While I was getting dinner ready this evening, Marissa was moping around the kitchen. She was bored and hungry, so I decided to put her to work.

Me: "Go pick some radishes."

[Yes, we planted radishes, more as an experiment than because we like to eat them. Actually, it's because Morgan went with me to the farm store and picked them out, and I thought, eh, why not?! A bit unfortunately, they grew nicely and have become rather prolific.]

Marissa: "What are we going to do with them?"

Me: "I don't know. Whatever you want."

Little did I know what we were in for. I suggested cutting smiley faces into them and told her that Grandma knows how to make radish roses. Well, that was not sufficiently creative. Here's what she did instead.

Step 1: Hollow out the center of the radish and chop up the meat.

Step 2: Fill the radish with honey and stuff with chopped pieces.

Step 3: Sprinkle with parsley. ["It needs something green and pretty."]

Step 4: Wrap with a strip of ham.

Now, I was admittedly dubious and tried one out of obligation. But, honestly, it wasn't bad at all. Jeremy said, "That made radishes edible."

So, like I said: Look out, Bobby. Iron Chef Marissa is on her way! I can't wait to see what she'll come up with for our other garden experiments. We've got sunburst squash, sweet banana peppers, tomatillos, and white pumpkins all growing this very moment. Oh, goody!

1 comment:

  1. Awesome. We grew radishes in our garden a few years ago and decided that they weren't worth the space ... if only we had had Marissa around!

    ReplyDelete